Become a Volunteer
Volunteer Opportunities Overview
Credit unions are unique, not-for-profit, cooperative financial institutions owned by their members and guided by volunteers. As a not-for-profit organization, volunteers play important roles in our success. Therefore, Nutmeg is always looking for dedicated volunteers from within our membership to help serve in a variety of volunteer capacities.
Active, enthusiastic volunteers are needed to maintain a healthy, progressive credit union. Volunteers serve without monetary compensation. Intangible benefits include:
- personal satisfaction realized by serving fellow members
- playing an important role in maintaining vital competition in the financial services marketplace
- nurturing the credit union philosophy of “people helping people”
- gaining new skills through continuing education & experience
To be a credit union volunteer requires integrity, a commitment of time, a willingness to learn, the discipline to carry out the specific duties and a desire to serve. Some basic expectations of a credit union volunteer are:
- a belief in the credit union philosophy
- a willingness to attend meetings and participate
- an understanding of and/or willingness to learn about basic business concepts
- the desire to be a team player
- to at all times, act in the best interest of the members and the credit union
Board and Committee Volunteer Opportunities
We’re always looking for qualified volunteers to fill vacancies for both the Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee. The primary function of each volunteer position is as follows:
Board of Directors Overview
Nutmeg’s Board of Directors consists of volunteers whose main responsibilities include: overseeing that all credit union policies are followed, establishing and monitoring the credit union’s strategic plan, and ensuring that the credit union operates in a safe and secure manner thereby keeping the members’ best interest as a top priority. The Board of Directors role is to be accountable for the actions of the credit union. Ensure the long-term security and viability of the credit union by overseeing its strategies and operations. Make decisions in the best interest of the credit union and the entire membership.
Supervisory Committee Overview
Nutmeg’s Supervisory Committee ensures the financial well-being of the credit union as well as the prompt preparation of accounting records and reports. The Supervisory Committee ensures the effectiveness of internal checks and balances, adherence to established policies and procedures and the overall safety and soundness of credit union operations.
Click here for a Volunteer application.